Are you scared of Friday the 13th? Friday the 13th, considered to be the inauspicious and one of the unluckiest days of the year. The fear of Friday the 13th is so widespread that it’s even cheaper to travel by plane on the date. This superstition is mostly found in Western culture. In the Western world, some hotels will have no room 13, while a lot of tall buildings do not have the 13th floor, jumping straight from 12 to 14. The fear of Friday the 13th is also called Friggatriskaidekaphobia. Why Friday the 13th is unlucky? Why do people fear of the day?
Here are few facts which say why do the people choose Friday the 13th, in particular, to fear for their lives.
- The superstition around this day is thought to have come about during the Middle Ages and may have Biblical origins.
- Some historians have claimed it was the day on which Eve bit the apple from the Tree of Knowledge, the great flood began and the builders of the Tower of Babel.
- In the New Testament, there were 13 people present for Jesus’s last supper on Maundy Thursday, the day before Christ’s crucifixion on Good Friday.
Here are few bad things that have happened on Friday 13th:
- In 1976, New Yorker Daz Baxter was apparently so afraid of Friday the 13th he decided the safest place to stay was his bed. Mr Baxter was killed when the floor of his apartment block collapsed that day.
- In 2010, lightning struck a 13-year-old Suffolk boy on Friday 13th at 13:13. Definitely unlucky for him.
- During the early 1990s, retired bus conductor Bob Renphrey also vowed to stay in bed on a superstitious day after some seriously bad luck. The Welshman has crashed fours cars, fallen into a river and been made redundant on previous Friday the 13ths.
Events in history: On Friday 13th
- Buckingham Palace was hit by five German bombs on Friday, September 13, 1940, with both King George VI and Queen Elizabeth coming close to being killed. One member of the royal staff died and the palace chapel was destroyed.
- A Chilean Airforce plane disappeared in the Andes on Friday 13 October 1972, with 16 survivors turning up two months later. They had been forced to eat dead passengers in order to survive.
- Rapper Tupac Shakur died of his wounds on Friday, September 13th, 1996, six days after being shot multiple times in a drive-by shooting.
- The Costa Concordia cruise ship ran aground on Friday 13 in January 2012 off the western coast of Italy killing 30 people.
- Isil carried out seven coordinated terror attacks in Paris killing 130 people on the evening of Friday 13, November 2015.
54total visits,4visits today